About performance of D-Bus

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 23:05:18 PDT 2008

2008/6/11 Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Some quick patch comments,

Thanks! I wrote this really as a hack, not as a proposed feature, but
I'll be sure to address the issues once I get a chance.

[snip patch comments]
> Hopefully those comments get you started, I have not really thought
> about the big picture here. I think this simple log might be most
> useful for debugging (seeing what messages go through) as opposed to
> profiling (does this log help with timing anything?)

Oh, it's always been intended as a _traffic_ profiling log, not
performance profiling log or debugging log. For that, the contents of
the messages or the speed with which they travel are really
irrelevant.

> I wonder if the "debugging" log should be somewhat more human-readable
> with helpful formatting and maybe show the message args, while the
> profiling log should include more info on things like time of each
> message and how long round trips last and so forth.

It indeed would make sense to have a more general "log messages"
functionality and then flavour it to include different type of data
for different types of logs. Like the mentioned debugging (includes
message bodies), traffic profiling (basically what is there now) and
performance profiling (more detailed info on when the message was
recorded).

> I don't really know though. Maybe other people have thoughts.

I haven't thought this much myself, I just wanted to see how easy it
would be to grab some data about the traffic :)

Seems easy enough, so the next question is how to implement it so that
it's most useful. Your comments were a good start, but there's
definitely some thinking to do around this...

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi