Help with simple example use of perl's Net::DBus

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Mar 10 07:18:39 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 09:46:32AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I've been trying to use Net::DBus for a fairly simple purpose;
> connect to the system bus and listen for signals. Nothing more. However,
> I seem to be quite daft as this simple task escapes me. I had decided to
> give up on it for now and listed to a system call to 'dbus-monitor
> --system --profile', but it turns out that is not feasible because of
> the output being buffered causing unfeasible delays in the perl code
> seeing the output.

Take a look at the code in the  'examples' directory of the Net::DBus
binding - it demonstrates how to listen for signals,

http://search.cpan.org/src/DANBERR/Net-DBus-0.33.6/examples/

eg   This code from 'example-signal-receive.pl'  will listen for 'HelloSignal'
and 'hello_signal_handler' will be called each time the signal is emitted:

  my $bus = Net::DBus->session();
  my $service = $bus->get_service("org.designfu.TestService");
  my $object  = $service->get_object("/org/designfu/TestService/object",
                                     "org.designfu.TestService");

  sub hello_signal_handler {
    my $greeting = shift;
    print "Received hello signal with greeting '$greeting'\n";
  }

  $object->connect_to_signal("HelloSignal", \&hello_signal_handler);

  my $reactor = Net::DBus::Reactor->main();
  $reactor->run();

The 'example-signal-emitter.pl' is the corresponding server side to test
with.

Regards,
Dan.
--