uuid not getting generated until after install

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon May 12 13:48:42 PDT 2008

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Ray Strode <halfline at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  +        if (g_getenv ("DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS") == NULL &&
>>  !start_if_not_found) {
>
>I think dbus_bus_peek() would be mildly more correct, since in theory
>there are ways to get the bus other than DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
>(such as from the X property). But in practice this should be fine.

I fail to see the need for the function.

It's just like trying to determine if a service is running before calling
it. Just call it once and for all: if it's not running, you get an error
back.

So, if a tool needs to check if it can connect to the bus, it should try
to connect to the bus. I assume it wants to do something after it
connects anyways. There's no point in connecting to the bus if you're not
going to do anything with that.

But, in this particular case, since we are talking about program
installation, I have to really question why it wants to connect to the
*session* bus. That seems just plain broken to me: why is specifically
the session in which the installation happening more important than all
of the other sessions?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358