uuid not getting generated until after install

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Tue May 13 06:16:42 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
>  I fail to see the need for the function.
>
>  It's just like trying to determine if a service is running before calling
>  it. Just call it once and for all: if it's not running, you get an error
>  back.
>
>  So, if a tool needs to check if it can connect to the bus, it should try
>  to connect to the bus. I assume it wants to do something after it
>  connects anyways. There's no point in connecting to the bus if you're not
>  going to do anything with that.

If you're connecting to the bus but then are going to use a service
only if that service is already running, then not autolaunching does
make sense to me. There are reasons to "peek" at a service, for
example if you want to monitor which song is playing in a music
player, you don't want to start the player, just watch it if it's
running. Or, if gconftool really were doing a per-user task here, I
think it would be wrong to start the bus in order to shut down gconfd.

But -

>  But, in this particular case, since we are talking about program
>  installation, I have to really question why it wants to connect to the
>  *session* bus. That seems just plain broken to me: why is specifically
>  the session in which the installation happening more important than all
>  of the other sessions?

This is quite true. I think the code in gconftool is intended to deal
with "make install" on a developer workstation when the developer is
doing a source build, or something like that. It's quite a broken
hack, really.