uuid not getting generated until after install

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue May 13 09:13:27 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 17:01 +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I'm sorry, but you can't run tests that depend on D-Bus running if it is not
> running. So don't run "make checks" inside your chroot.

No, as already stated, it should be _perfectly_ fine to run programs
using libdbus in a chroot etc. environment as long as they don't depend
on any bus. But right now libdbus just falls over because it can't find
the uuid file (see Matthias' mail).

So I think that's a limitation of libdbus that we don't want. In other
words, I think we need to fix that bug.

(Btw, just saying "that depend on D-Bus" is not very precise. As you
know, the D-Bus project provides 1) a library that can be used for IPC;
and 2) a message bus system. Using the term "D-Bus" is ambiguous.)

(And telling people to just "don't run make check" inside their chroot
is somewhat bad advice unless you are 100% sure that the test suite
indeed is broken insofar that it depends on a bus instead of just the
IPC library. It's bad advice because it's actually very useful to see if
the test suite passes on the 5-10 different architectures that many
distros build for. Instead of just running it on whatever x86/x86_64
architecture that developers use.)

     David