Launching a d-bus session bus

Soh Kam Yung sohkamyung at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 00:06:48 PST 2008

I am trying to getting some info on how the d-bus session bus is launched.

For linux desktop systems like Ubuntu, I believe this is done by
startx.  For example, on my Ubuntu system, I see the following:

=====
~$ cat /etc/X11/Xsession.options
# /etc/X11/Xsession.options
#
# configuration options for /etc/X11/Xsession
# See Xsession.options(5) for an explanation of the available options.
allow-failsafe
allow-user-resources
allow-user-xsession
use-ssh-agent
use-session-dbus
=====

I am not familiar with how X11 starts up the d-bus session bus.  I
have tried to look for a script that may do this but none seem to use
or reference dbus-launch.

Can somebody give pointers on where I should look to see how X11
launches a d-bus session bus?

On a similar note, if anybody is familiar with the Maemo environment
(used in the Nokia N800/N810 Internet Tablets), a similar pointer on
how a d-bus session bus gets started in that environment would be
helpful.

Regards,
Kam-Yung
--