dbus ACL

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Nov 16 11:51:35 PST 2008

I'm trying to figure out how to limit a user's hotplug events to a
single USB hub.  I'm working on multi-seat and I'd like to assign each
seat a single USB hub.  Any hotplug events would only be sent to the
user at that seat.

I've been reading up on dbus and hal, but I can't really find how dbus,
ConsoleKit, and hal all work together.  It looks like the policies in
/etc/dbus-1/session.conf might do what I need, but I can't find any
documentation on what policies are available and how to set them.

The overall idea is that we put up an X session on every available
screen and ask the user to hit a specific key on the keyboard.  The key
is different for each X session.  Once we have the keyboard event, we
can tell which USB hub it came from and we can assign the USB hub it's
plugged into to that seat.  We can then scan the hub for mouse, audio,
mass storage, whatever and handle them on behalf of that user.

I'm new to the whole dbus/hal thing so I would appreciate any pointers
to docs or discussion that might help me out.

--Yan