dbus-daemon / powerpc / -fPIE problem

Abdul Basit abasit at bnet6.net
Fri Oct 17 06:38:55 PDT 2008

Hi,

I have compiled libdbus latest version or PowerPC, but when running
dbus-daemon on target (powerpc) it claims "can not modify application
text segment,
compile the binary with -fPIE GCC option", the target platform is based
on uClibc,
and I checked the libdbus Makefile is including -fPIE when compiling
dbus/bus/ folder,
and -fPIC otherwise for library code, I have also checked that the
libraries linked such
as libexpat are also properly compiled in -fPIC, I have also tried
compiling without -fPIE
but it still complain about it, it appears the ldso of uclibc is
checking for DT_TEXTREL
in ldso.c and if found true it prints this message of "can not modify
application text ...".

Could anyone please help on where to look for more information on this?
all other binaries such as dbus-send-daemon etc runs properly.

Thanks,
~Basit