DBus in a local network

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 15:16:25 PDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 5:30 PM, KHOA NGUYEN <qa_tridang at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to D-Bus. For my project using D-Bus, in order to exchange data
> between applications, D-Bus works well if these applications run in the same
> desktop (host).
>
> But I do not know how to do with D-Bus when these applications run in
> different hosts (Linux RHEL) of the same local network.
>
> Do you have an idea of the solution for this?

You can have dbus-daemon listen on a tcp socket without much trouble.
Beware, however, that there is no encryption, authentication is
relatively weak, and nobody tests this stuff very much.  So DBus may
not be the best choice for inter-computer communication.

That said, I use it happily in a similar situation, but I also wrote
my own special bus daemon to add SSL support.  YMMV :)

Have fun,

Avery