Spying on the session bus using dbus_bus_add_match

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Tue Apr 14 04:11:55 PDT 2009

Hi,

I want to monitor some method calls send to particular name, say
org.gnome.ScreenSaver, i'm interested in catching only inhibit messages
sent to the screensaver interface, so i setup my filter function and all
goes fine. my problem is in the return code of the filter function:

If the return code DBUS_HANDLER_RESULT_NOT_YET_HANDLED sometimes when
sending messages as test using dbus-send to that interface i receive
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "GetSessionIdleTime"
with signature "" on interface "org.gnome.ScreenSaver" doesn't exist.

Why is that, the message should go also to the screensaver filter right!

If i return DBUS_HANDLER_RESULT_HANDLED all goes fine, but i don't
understand why!

You help is appreciated.