Unix FD Passing

Havoc Pennington havoc.pennington at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 14:54:07 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
>>http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#message-protocol
>>-handling-invalid "In the authentication protocol (see the section
>> called
>>“Authentication Protocol”) unknown commands result in an ERROR rather
>>than a disconnect. This enables future extensions to the protocol."
>
> Right.
>
> But I (and I imagine most other people) read that as extension to the
> authentication protocol. As in supporting new authentication methods, etc.
>
> The brilliant solution is to negotiate extension to the D-Bus protocol and
> features.

Oh, no, what I meant in the spec is that it would be used to negotiate
dbus features.

Not that it really matters or anything, it just surprised me that I
hadn't communicated that - I thought when we mentioned "feature
negotiation" it was assumed that it meant some feature setup in the
auth protocol. Goes to show one can never explain in too much detail I
guess.