Unix FD Passing

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Sun Apr 26 07:42:27 PDT 2009

On Sat, 25.04.09 21:44, Havoc Pennington (havoc.pennington at gmail.com) wrote:

Heya

> It makes sense, but would be quite a nightmare while any large patch
> is outstanding (such as yours, or the windbus patch, are two I know
> of).

I had another look now on this. git-format-patch supports
--ignore-space-change. That would allow folks to rebase their
patchsets from the pre-cleanup to the post-cleanup upstream
tree. git-rebase seems not to support it directly, though.

> It would also make more sense I think if either the fd.org git server,
> or at least 'make check', enforced the policy going forward. Otherwise
> whitespace will creep in again (it's quite hard to see in patch
> review, and git offers no way to force people to have a pre-commit
> hook, or even give them one by default when they clone).

git supports pre-recieve hooks. I guess it's just a question of
writing one which enforces whitespace fascism.

Lennart