How to know the application owned a bus name

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Aug 4 23:27:41 PDT 2009

Ray Strode wrote:
>Hi,
>
>> I'm using dbus-monitor to look at messages among applications. But
>> some messages have bus names like ":1.7" without knowing which
>> application owns them. Is there any tool help to get the owner?
>
>You may find the programs d-feet useful.  I don't think it has
>dbus-monitor like functionality, but it does show all clients on the
>bus (so it would say which program is :1.7 for instance) and allows
>you to run methods on them in a way that's a little easier than
>dbus-send.

qdbus does the same. When run without arguments, it lists all running
services, grouped:

(fixed-width font recommended to read this)
$ qdbus
:1.0
:1.10
 org.kde.kglobalaccel
:1.1214
 org.kde.KResourcesManager
 org.kde.akregator
 org.kde.kaddressbook
 org.kde.kjots
 org.kde.kmail
 org.kde.kmail.groupware
 org.kde.kontact
 org.kde.korganizer
 org.kde.ktimetracker
 org.kde.pim.TransportManager
:1.14
 org.kde.knotify
:1.1498
:1.1529
:1.1530
:1.16
 org.kde.kaccess
:1.1623
 org.kde.kget
:1.1625
 org.kde.NotificationItem-14079-1
:1.1797
:1.1799
 org.kde.konqueror-3760
:1.1817
:1.1818
:1.1819
:1.1820
:1.1821
:1.1822
:1.1823
:1.19
 org.kde.kxkb
:1.24
 org.kde.konsole
:1.26
 org.kde.konqueror-22331
:1.27
 org.kate-editor.kwrite-22332
:1.28
 org.kde.kmix
:1.3
 org.freedesktop.PowerManagement
 org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Inhibit
 org.kde.Kephal
 org.kde.NotificationItemWatcher
 org.kde.kded
 org.kde.network
 org.kde.powerdevil
:1.32
 org.ktorrent.ktorrent
:1.34
 org.kde.NotificationItem-22335-1
:1.357
 org.kde.kio_http_cache_cleaner
:1.37
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control
:1.38
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi
:1.389
 org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver
 org.kde.krunner
 org.kde.screensaver
:1.39
 com.Skype.API
:1.43
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Agent.akonadi_birthdays_resource
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Resource.akonadi_birthdays_resource
 org.kde.akonadi_birthdays_resource-22516
:1.44
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Agent.akonadi_vcard_resource_0
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Resource.akonadi_vcard_resource_0
 org.kde.akonadi_vcard_resource_0-22519
:1.45
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Agent.akonadi_kabc_resource_0
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Resource.akonadi_kabc_resource_0
 org.kde.akonadi_kabc_resource_0-22517
:1.46
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Agent.akonadi_vcard_resource_3
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Resource.akonadi_vcard_resource_3
 org.kde.akonadi_vcard_resource_3-22520
:1.47
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Agent.akonadi_kcal_resource_1
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Resource.akonadi_kcal_resource_1
 org.kde.akonadi_kcal_resource_1-22518
:1.502
 org.kde.NotificationHost-462
 org.kde.plasma-desktop
:1.53
 org.kde.klipper
:1.55
 org.kde.korgac
:1.58
 org.kde.NotificationItem-22569-1
:1.59
 org.kde.kwalletd
:1.61
 org.kde.kttsd
:1.671
:1.8
 org.kde.ksmserver
 org.kde.ksmserver-22291
:1.84
 org.kde.konsole-22718
:1.9
 org.kde.kwin
 org.kde.kwin-22293
:1.909
 org.kde.klauncher
org.freedesktop.DBus

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358