DBUS_ERROR_UNKNOWN_METHOD message omits object path

Martin Vidner mvidner at suse.cz
Wed Mar 25 07:12:36 PDT 2009

Hi,

more than once I have been confused by the following error message:

$ dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal \
    /org/freedesktop/Hal/Hal9000 \
    org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager.FindDeviceByCapability \
    string:sound

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method
"FindDeviceByCapability" with signature "s" on interface
"org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager" doesn't exist

You see, it works if you replace Hal9000 by Manager, so the method,
signature, and interface are all correct, just the object path is
wrong. But it sent me looking in many wrong directions. It is
obvious here with Hal which I use for ease of reproduction but it was
not in my actual case with NetworkManager applets.

Can we append " on object %s", dbus_message_get_member (path) to
that message in dbus-connection.c:dbus_connection_dispatch ?

--
Martin Vidner, YaST developer
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner