Unix FD Passing

Alp Toker alp at atoker.com
Mon May 4 08:53:30 PDT 2009

2009/4/26 Havoc Pennington <havoc.pennington at gmail.com>:
> +/** Type code marking a unix file descriptor */
> +#define DBUS_TYPE_UNIX_FD      ((int) 'f')
>
> While I sympathize that other extenders of the protocol should have
> gotten their stuff in the spec / in the reference implementation,
> maybe it would be kind not to stomp them.
>
> One option could be to go to capital letters ("F") - or otherwise just
> use something completely non-mnemonic.

Havoc,

Thanks for paying attention to this. ndesk-dbus is actively using 'f'
for 32 bit single precision floating point values and dbus-java and
dbus-python support it as well now to some extent too I believe.

I'd also like to earmark the 'win' transport / address scheme, which
is deployed in the managed D-Bus daemon Windows service
(http://www.nuanti.com/tmp/dbus-setup.msi has an early preview). The
scheme is 'win:[host=.],path=dbus-session' where literal '.' indicates
localhost or a remote host, and path is the virtual location as per
named pipe convention. For anyone looking to implement client support
for this, it's a direct byte-oriented synthesis of the TCP / UNIX byte
stream including the initial null byte and SASL authentication chat.
More on this soon, but as a heads up to anyone planning to introduce
an alternative scheme, please avoid incompatible use of 'win'.

(If trying this out, remember to disable it when you're done from
Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services or using 'net stop
D-Bus'. Logging is done through the conventional Windows event system
and audit reports can be collected from Control Panel / Administrative
Tools / Event Viewer. A native D-Bus viewer and monitor utility is
installed under the Start menu and can connect to local win and remote
tcp daemons.)

Cheers

--
http://www.nuanti.com