IDL language

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri May 8 13:12:24 PDT 2009

David Zeuthen wrote:
>> $ ls -1 /usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces | wc -l
>> 17
>
>I do that too for my services. The point is that this is not specced out
>anywhere (the spec would also specify how to name things; I've seen
>things named in different ways in that directory)....
>
>> $ ls -1 $KDEDIR/share/dbus-1/interfaces | wc -l
>> 120
>
>... which probably is what led KDE to do it's own thing.

It's only a different directory because I build my own KDE and install it
to $HOME. Otherwise, it would be in /usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces.

>Also, these D-Bus XML introspection files are all different dialects
>and, generally, not very useful if you want to generate C or C++ code.

Well, for simple interfaces, it works just fine.

It only breaks down when working with complex structures. For example, if
the introspection says type="(ii)", what should the generator write? Is
that a X,Y point, a H,W size or something completely different?

So that's where I think the IDL would help.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358