Generating documentation for DBus APIs

Dave Neary dneary at maemo.org
Thu Nov 12 02:43:30 PST 2009

Hi,

I'm looking for documentation of the various DBus interfaces that get
published by an application, and for the moment I can't find any. It's
leading me to think that maybe there is no way to automatically generate
documentation of interfaces the way Doxygen of gtk-doc do for APIs.

Is that the case? Or is there a tool that I can run on the source code
to generate docs for DBus interfaces?

If there is no such tool, is there a recommended way to browse DBus
interfaces on a running system? I found d-feet, which looks cool - the
only thing I'm missing is the semantics of what the various methods,
paths and interfaces do - I just get interface names, paths and method
names with type information.

The kind of thing I'd love to see, ideally, would be something like the
GIMP's plug-in browser:
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/graphics_tools/gimp_user_manual/en/gimp-xtns-plug-in-browser.html

Cheers,
Dave.