per-user dbus

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Nov 13 16:54:02 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de> wrote:

> So instead of distuingishing between a session and a user+machine *bus*
> you'd be distuingishing between session and user+machine *services*?

What I'm really arguing is to break the (multiple X, identical uid,
identical machine) case, and have the cron, linux VC, and ssh+tty
cases work.

I care about cron and ssh+tty a fair bit, linux VC only as long as we
keep it on life support until wayland, and don't care at all about
multiple X.

In the multiple X case you can patch some part of the login stack to
optionally explicitly run dbus-launch and you'll be back exactly to
the status quo.  In fact gdm could do that automatically if you flip
on the flag to enable duplicate logins (which, note is off by
default).

> Not sure I am convinced... Seems to be the wrong solution to me,
> i.e. introducing a service taxonomy where a bus taxonomy is more
> appropriate and already exists?

How does the bus taxonomy already exist?