bug with 5 code lines

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Tue Nov 17 14:17:40 PST 2009

> yeah I am wondering why "kde" is statically written in the debug message.

Ah, OK. I thought the filename visible in that message was where
*your* code was. Sorry.

>> But yes, there is also something called "dbus4win"

> Ok I will try it, maybe I will get better result with it.

Only problem is that, as far as I know, they haven't done any source
or binary releases. At least I couldn't find when I was looking. There
is a git repository at git://repo.or.cz/dbus4win.git . The
dbus4win-noncetcp branch is what one should use. I was told.

> About dbus from  http://sourceforge.net/projects/windbus/
> I am facing to a problem that I will try to describe:

> - I am creating a desktop using CreateDesktop
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682124%28VS.85%29.aspx)
> It's associated with a window station that I am also creating.
> In this desktop I am launching the dbus-daemon --system.

Hmm, interesting. Are you sure the windbus project is even supposed to
support a system dbus on Windows? What do you intend to do with this
system dbus? On a modern Linux distro, the system dbus is used by the
OS's system daemons etc to inform about system-wide events etc, I
think? None of the OS system services / processes in Windows will do
anythig with a system dbus. So what is the point? Why desperately
trying to use dbus for system level stuff on Windows, when none of the
software bundled with the OS will have no interaction with such a
system dbus.

(Sure, for communication among apps ported from Linux in a session, a
session dbus makes sense on Windows.)

(The above is of course just my opinion.Do tell how I am missing
something, if necessary.)

Anyway, discussion about windbus and how it works or doesn't might get
more insightful replies on the windbus list. If they have one. If the
project is still alive. But maybe the windbus people are present here,
too.

--tml