Question related to NameOwnerChanged signal

Shakti Ashirvad shakti.ashirvad at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 12:28:28 PDT 2009

Hi Guyz,

I have been using both native dbus and dbus-glib for quite sometime for an
embedded device. All applications in our domain is linked to libDbus.
Recently while working on a performance enhancement and overall health
diagnostics, I discovered that everytime a process is spawn, DBUS daemon
broadcasts few signals, which are making every process in the system do
context switch at least once.

As a result the launch of the application is significantly affected. The
signals are,

Signal Received (null) (null), Sender : org.freedesktop.DBus
Signal Received (null) (null), Sender : org.freedesktop.DBus
Signal Received (null) (null), Sender : org.freedesktop.DBus
Signal Received (null) (null), Sender : org.freedesktop.DBus
Signal Received org.freedesktop.DBus NameOwnerChanged, Sender :
org.freedesktop.DBus
Signal Received org.freedesktop.DBus NameOwnerChanged, Sender :
org.freedesktop.DBus

Could someone help me here to understand why these signals are broadcast and
needed by all the apps. Is there any way I can match rule and send to
particular processes. And the match rule being the PIDs or anything that
makes sense.

Thanks,
Shakti