Java D-Bus binding for JavaME Profiles

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Tue Oct 27 02:28:39 PDT 2009

On Sun Oct 25 20:16, Schmottlach, Glenn wrote:
> Unfortunately, Java Reflection and Generics did not make it into the CLDC profile.

> Are you aware of a reworked version of your binding in Palm's WebOS
> (http://palm.cdnetworks.net/opensource/1.1.0/palmipc-java-1.0.0.tgz)
> It looks like they might have pared it down a little and provided some
> form of "mini" D-Bus binding that doesn't require reflection. It
> looks like the lower level core library . . . analogous the the
> reference D-Bus 'C' library. Perhaps that's fertile ground to explore.

Ah, I did not. It does remind me, however, that my bindings do supply a
low-level interface[1]. If you compile on a full JDK and then only use
those parts, it should work, since I use nothing complicated at  all.

I don't know what the palmipc folks use, I'll take a look.

1. Here's the example of the low-level API from the dbus-java
documentation:

BusAddress address = new BusAddress(
         System.getenv("DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"));
Transport conn = new Transport(address, true);

Message m = new MethodCall("org.freedesktop.DBus", "/org/freedesktop/DBus",
                           "org.freedesktop. DBus", "Hello", (byte) 0, null);
conn.mout.writeMessage(m);

m = conn.min.readMessage();
System.out.println("Response to Hello is: "+m);

m = new MethodCall("org.freedesktop.DBus", "/org/freedesktop/DBus",
                   "org.freedesktop.DBus", "RequestName", (byte) 0,
                   "su", "org.testname", 0);
conn.mout.writeMessage(m);

conn.disconnect();
--