moving file descriptor passing into a header

Fridrich Strba fridrich.strba at bluewin.ch
Wed Apr 14 01:15:43 PDT 2010

Hello, good people,

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 01:19 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Actually DBus on Windows is used in production in the KDE port to Windows, for
> example in the Gpg4Win package that contains the Kleopatra certificate
> manager, and Kontact-for-Windows.  The current port only supports the session
> bus, not the system bus, but this is only because currently nobody requires a
> Windows system bus.

One can argue whether dbus is designed for Unix, nevertheless, it
becomes so omnipresent that you cannot port many FOSS applications if
you don't have it. There are cases where you can avoid using dbus by
providing another IPC mechanism for windows (like it could be done with
libunique), but in other cases you just don't have choice.

We have a little bit patched version of dbus-1 and dbus-1-glib in our
openSUSE Build Service repositories of windows packages
(http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/windows:/mingw:/win32/openSUSE_Factory/noarch/ and
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/windows:/mingw:/win64/openSUSE_Factory/noarch/)
because nowadays evolution-data-server and evolution depend on it
inconditionally. So, considering portability issues would make the
Windows porting a bit less PITA for those of us that care :)

Cheers

Fridrich

P.S.: You might ask who this guy is, and you will be right, just a
Trained Monkey (http://fridrich.blogspot.com)