Application authorisations

Joerg Barfurth Joerg.Barfurth at Sun.COM
Thu Apr 29 08:14:13 PDT 2010

James schrieb:
> Hey,
> I'm certaintly not the leading expert in this field but I'll offer my
> thoughts if it helps:
> The problem I see is that for a given multiuser system, any one user
> could "give away" the position of the whole machine if
> geoclue/geolocation was a per user session thing. Anyone with root
> should have the final say.

But in some multi-user - and even single user - systems the users are
not physically in the same place as the machine. There are various
technologies for remoting sessions to thin client devices or remote
desktop client software. Some of these technologies include capabilities
for remote devices, so you could even have a GPS 'location' device per user.

So you first need to define what data you are collecting/protecting: the
location of the shared machine (which may be in some central data center
for the described scenarios) or the location of the user.

- Jörg