Application authorisations

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Apr 30 05:09:31 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 07:50 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net> wrote:
> >
> > I'm guessing that being *told* about an app trying to use your location
> > would be good enough.
>
> In that case, something like the Android permissions model where an
> application specifies up front what it wants, and you can see that in
> PackageKit or whatever app installer, and choose whether or not to
> install it seems far preferable to me.  We need way fewer random ass
> dialogs popping up in Linux...

Being able to install whitelists is fine, so we would probably whitelist
things like the preferences dialogue for geoclue, and firefox which
already asks whether to allow websites to query the location.

It seems right to me to avoid this for known applications, but random
apps should still be asked for.