Application authorisations

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Apr 30 06:55:44 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net> wrote:

> Being able to install whitelists is fine, so we would probably whitelist
> things like the preferences dialogue for geoclue, and firefox which
> already asks whether to allow websites to query the location.
>
> It seems right to me to avoid this for known applications, but random
> apps should still be asked for.

As long as you keep in mind that without work probably measured in
engineer-years, it's at best aspirational.  For example, absolutely
nothing stops the app from just using XTest or accessibility to click
"OK" on the dialog when it pops up.

Why not just have some global indication that an application is using
GeoClue, and give the option to disable it for every app?

It strikes me that few people really want per-application control.  If
there's an app that you for some reason didn't want to know your
location - don't run it.