TCP sockets and SO_REUSEADDR

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Mon Aug 30 10:13:52 PDT 2010

On Fri, 27.08.10 11:38, Thomas Themel (thomas at themel.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there any reason why SO_REUSEADDR isn't set when opening a TCP listen socket
> on Unix? I try to have a somewhat productive setup that includes running a
> custom DBus config with TCP listeners, but killing and restarting the
> dbus-daemon is tiresome because I have to wait for the TIME_WAIT sockets from
> ex-clients to disappear before coming back up. Patch vs HEAD attached.

I think there's no reason not to use SO_REUSEADDR. It's probably simply
not there because so far D-Bus has been used very little for TCP
transports.

Could you please file this as a bug in bz, so that it isn't forgotten?
(unless you already did that anyway).

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.