dbus/Hal code replacement

Mike Miller dbuslist at mgmiller.net
Wed Dec 8 21:42:57 PST 2010

Hi,

A few years ago I wrote a script to grab disk info.  It had the crappy
dbus/Hal code shown in the snippet below.  I've just moved to a new
machine without Hal and the script no longer works of course.

I'm wondering if anyone here can help?  How might I update this code?
It looks for the volume names of mounted disk volumes.  I'm not very
familiar with dbus so would very much appreciate a few pointers.  ;)

bus = dbus.SystemBus()
hal_manager_obj = bus.get_object('org.freedesktop.Hal',
     '/org/freedesktop/Hal/Manager')
hal_manager = dbus.Interface(hal_manager_obj,
     'org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager')

dbus_disks = {}
device_names = hal_manager.GetAllDevices()
for dev in device_names:
     if dev.startswith('/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_'):
         device_dbus_obj = bus.get_object('org.freedesktop.Hal', dev)
         props = device_dbus_obj.GetAllProperties(dbus_interface=
             'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device')

         if props.has_key('block.device') and props.has_key('volume.label'):
             blockdev = props['block.device'].split('/')[-1]
             dbus_disks[blockdev] = props['volume.label']

-Mike