dbus/Hal code replacement

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Dec 8 23:21:13 PST 2010

On Thursday, 9 de December de 2010 06:42:57 Mike Miller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few years ago I wrote a script to grab disk info.  It had the crappy
> dbus/Hal code shown in the snippet below.  I've just moved to a new
> machine without Hal and the script no longer works of course.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone here can help?  How might I update this code?
> It looks for the volume names of mounted disk volumes.  I'm not very
> familiar with dbus so would very much appreciate a few pointers.  ;)

Hi Mike

I think you're asking the wrong crowd here. We can help you with writing a D-
Bus application and finding the issues in it, but we cannot help you with
deciding what calls to make.

What you're doing is the same as asking your mailman how to fill in the tax
declaration that you're supposed to mail. The mailman doesn't know (or care)
about the contents of the letters he's transporting -- well, except if you
send a letter-bomb, but then the analogy is breaking down :-)

It's the same here: we don't know what calls you're supposed to make. You're
the one who knows what services you have running on your machine, so please
approach the communities around those services.

I, for one, have never used a machine without HAL in the past 4 years or more.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358