Cmake update patch for dbus master

Romain Pokrzywka romain at kdab.com
Sun Feb 7 13:46:32 PST 2010

On Saturday 06 February 2010 00:48:09 Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> The whole thing was added because Saro wanted to have two running kde
> instances on his system. A release and a debug one. This isn't possible
> with only one dbus-daemon
> I really wonder whats wrong with the name dbus-daemond.exe. It worked
> since nearly one year and nobody every complained about it... no user
> will ever see a dbus-daemond.exe and the devs are able to have two
> running kde instances on windows.

I rather think the reason why nobody complained yet is that nobody actually uses it, except maybe Patrick :)
At least for KDE-Win the default dbus used is windbus 1.2.4, which doesn't have that change in, so it does create a
dbus-daemon.exe even on debug builds :)

Note that my change was part of a series of patches to clean up and update the CMake build system for 1.3/1.4, I don't
mean to change that for 1.2.x. or windbus.

I'm sure that everybody wants dbus to look as polished as possible and to follow standard practices closely. And
changing executable names between release and debug version seems all but a standard practice to me.
In addition this is a cmake-only thing, some people use autotools to build cmake on windows, and they don't see that
behavior then, so it's also a matter of consistency. Then I can think of packaging issues, and so on...

> But feel free to do what you want - kdab did it the last years so it
> doesn't matter anyway.

:-S
(not sure how to interpret that statement...)

Anyway, no, my aim is to try and get everybody to agree and be happy with this change, not to force-feed it.
As a matter of fact, I do care about your counter-arguments.

Let me discuss it with Patrick on IRC, see exactly what the problem was, and if there are any other alternatives. Then
we'll make a decision as to completely remove it or make it a build option.

Thanks everybody for your feedback and input,
Romain

--
Romain Pokrzywka | romain at kdab.com | Certified Qt Software Engineer & Trainer