working towards 1.2.18, and a note for developers

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Jan 28 13:11:51 PST 2010

Em Quinta-feira 28. Janeiro 2010, às 21.25.51, Colin Walters escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick note that I'm working towards a 1.2.18 release, in
> particular trying to clean up the huge number of patches Fedora (at
> least) is shipping and get this stuff upstream.
>
> One thing I should note, particularly for new committers like Will and
> Simon, is that the way Thiago has the branches set up, it's intended
> that you commit to the dbus-1.2 branch first, and then merge that to
> master.  There were some patches like the timeout fix which were only
> on master.
>
> For the 1.2 branch I'm about to push the timeout fix, some of Will's
> changes for dbus-monitor cleanliness, but I'm skipping the match rule
> optimizations for now (we can revisit it, I'm just focused on the
> really important crasher/reliability patches for now).
>
> At the current point instead of trying to merge 1.2 to master I'm
> cherry picking because there's a lot of divergence at this point.

Please don't do that.

Just cherry-pick -x the relevant patches from master to 1.2, then apply the
new patches from Fedora, and finally merge everything to master.

Git should resolve the merges easily. Where it doesn't resolve them, cherry-
picking won't help very much, because you'll also have the conflicts. Worse,
you won't have the history of the change to help you fix the conflict.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358