releases

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Mon Jun 7 08:35:52 PDT 2010

On Fri, 04.06.10 17:47, Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > D-Bus appears kinda stuck right now, with 1.3 moving in glacial speed
> > only. To get the ball rolling again and because nobody seems to step up
> > for this I plan to roll a release in two weeks from today. Please get
> > your stuff into the tree until then, otherwise I'll do the release
> > anyway and pass the blame for changing APIs on to you.
>
> A 1.3 release is OK I guess, but the important thing is deciding what
> exactly will make the cut for a stable 1.4, among:
>
> * Negotiation in the protocol
>   * File descriptor passing (before or after header proposal)
> * Maybe types
> * MacOS X merging
> * Win32 release engineering (do we ship a binary, etc.)
> * Thread safety changes (incl. compatibility concerns)

Well, I have no clue about either MacOS X and Win32, so if I do have to
do the releases because nobody else wants to then I'd just take what is
in, and verify what I understand, and not verify what I don't.

In my eyes what is in the git tree right now i already enough for 1.3
-- and even 1.4 should testing turn out to be successful. If we can include
more than what's in now, that is fine, but I wouldn't really want to
wait any longer for another release. If stuff's not in soon there's
nothing that stops us from opening 1.5 shortly after 1.4 is out.

Note that I have no plans to maintain D-Bus really. I am just planning
to do an 1.3 release in the upcoming week, simply because I want some of
the features in the distors, and I am very much an egotist on that.

Like with most free software projects the dbus release cycle should
probably be more bound to time than to certain features... And that's
why I'd like to roll a 1.3.1 regardless of the features that are in.

After 1.3.1 is out and in the distros and tested for a while I'd be
willing to roll the final 1.4 release, too, again unless somebody else
steps up to do that. And I'd probably do that when the F14 cycle comes
to an end so that we can include it. Of course, people can argue that
D-Bus should not be bound to the Fedora cycle, but well, I am not the
only one with an fdo account who can do releases, and they are welcome
to step up to beome a proper maintainer for D-Bus and then roll
releases.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net