[Patch] Moving FD passing into the header

Ryan Lortie desrt at desrt.ca
Thu Jun 17 08:18:21 PDT 2010

hi Thiago,

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 14:11 +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> So you what you're saying is that file descriptors aren't arguments to the
> callback functions.
>
> I'm not sure I like this approach. Transmarshalling will become just a lot
> more complex.

We discussed this issue in quite some detail in April:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2010-April/012488.html

and the majority opinion at that point seemed to be that there are a lot
of reasons that having file descriptors as a part of the type system is
quite an ugly hack when the same functionality can be had in a much less
intrusive way.  I don't want to go over all of those arguments again.

It's true that it might make binding slightly less convenient for the
rare case of functions that want to return file descriptors over DBus,
but there are two points to consider:

  1) This could never work in a cross-platform sense anyway.

  2) The function implementing the method that returns the file
     descriptor can just as easily construct a reply more manually.

Cheers