[Patch] Moving FD passing into the header

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Tue Jun 22 17:57:06 PDT 2010

On Thu, 17.06.10 11:18, Ryan Lortie (desrt at desrt.ca) wrote:

> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2010-April/012488.html
>
> and the majority opinion at that point seemed to be that there are a lot
> of reasons that having file descriptors as a part of the type system is
> quite an ugly hack when the same functionality can be had in a much less
> intrusive way.  I don't want to go over all of those arguments again.

Well, my reading of the current discussion is that majority now more
leans to the status quo, i.e. my approach.

> It's true that it might make binding slightly less convenient for the
> rare case of functions that want to return file descriptors over DBus,
> but there are two points to consider:
>
>   1) This could never work in a cross-platform sense anyway.

This is fog granade. A non-issue, as I just pointed out in another mail
to the thread.

Bringing this up again and again is not convincing, just distracting.

>   2) The function implementing the method that returns the file
>      descriptor can just as easily construct a reply more manually.

I cannot parse this.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net