Webcam (v4l2 source) available to remote session

Stuart Doherty stu.doherty at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 04:59:27 PDT 2010

Hi All,
  I'm very sorry if this is the wrong place for this message.  I started at
hal, then udev, then ended up at this level.  Maybe I need to move on to
gnome desktop.  I'm hoping this is just a matter of tweaking some dbus rules
or something.

I want my webcam available to remote sessions so I can work with it when I'm
away from home.  I can't seem to figure out how to do this.  I can see
"/dev/video0" when I'm at home.  But when I drive to work and log in the
device file isn't there.  My research led me to believe dbus might be
enforcing this policy.

If I'm wrong, pointers to where I might look would be great.

Thanks for the help.

Stu