Webcam (v4l2 source) available to remote session

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Mar 18 07:49:22 PDT 2010

Em Quinta-feira 18 Março 2010, às 12:59:27, Stuart Doherty escreveu:
> Hi All,
>   I'm very sorry if this is the wrong place for this message.  I started at
> hal, then udev, then ended up at this level.  Maybe I need to move on to
> gnome desktop.  I'm hoping this is just a matter of tweaking some dbus
> rules or something.
>
> I want my webcam available to remote sessions so I can work with it when
> I'm away from home.  I can't seem to figure out how to do this.  I can see
> "/dev/video0" when I'm at home.  But when I drive to work and log in the
> device file isn't there.  My research led me to believe dbus might be
> enforcing this policy.
>
> If I'm wrong, pointers to where I might look would be great.

Hi Stu

I really don't see how this is relevant to D-Bus. You seem to have a V4L
problem, which is neither D-Bus, nor HAL nor udev nor even the desktop.

If the device file isn't there, it's either because the kernel module isn't
loaded or because the the device itself (hardware) isn't found.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358