DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1 - X11 variant

Thomas Sondergaard ts at medical-insight.com
Tue Mar 30 12:53:22 PDT 2010

Wouldn't it make sense for a session-bus to support a variant of
DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1 authentication that establish that the client has
access to read a property on a window on the associated X11 display,
rather than access to read a file in the users file system? The
session-bus is, after all, associated with the X11 session, not the
users file system.

This would be useful for me, because I work for a company that runs
applications on display clusters, where an application may occasionally
run on another machine than its X11 display (if resources on that
machine are running low). I've found old posts on the mailing list that
have considered discussing session-bus forwarding over ssh, and an
X11-based version of DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1 would also be useful for that.

Has anyone considered doing this? Would it be difficult to do? What
would be the best way to do it?

Regards,

Thomas