D-Bus User Bus

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Tue May 25 11:46:39 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> Well, I see little need for the session bus:

Without a per-X-server bus you can't do any per-X-server things via
dbus - screensaver, panel indicator icons, display settings such as
font size, singleton instances of the panel and WM and desktop
background, etc.

(display settings might ideally store in your homedir under a monitor
ID and so you could have settings for two different machines that
share a homedir)

Often right now we're doing per-X-server things via hacks like
XSETTINGS for course but there's no real reason for that in dbus
world. IPC via X server is painful.

Adding the display ID to the bus name does not work because ssh and su
mean you have other users on your display, that should share the
per-X-server bus but not the per-(user,machine) bus.

See my long mail I just sent with a new subject, trying to spell out
all the options.