D-Bus User Bus

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Tue May 25 13:16:17 PDT 2010

On Tue, 25.05.10 14:46, Havoc Pennington (hp at pobox.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> > Well, I see little need for the session bus:
> >

> Without a per-X-server bus you can't do any per-X-server things via
> dbus - screensaver, panel indicator icons, display settings such as
> font size, singleton instances of the panel and WM and desktop
> background, etc.

Well, I don't think that we'd lose too much if we'd say that most of
those services you list abvoe would be controllable only by one of the
sessions involved, the one that runs g-s-d.

I mean, there are some facilities we definitely want to share across the
network, such as the the screensaver block and logout notification (both
of which are probably implementable via xsettings-like X hacks, without
too many problems). But most of the other things might be unproblematic
to limit to one host only. i.e. saying that font or theme selection can
only be done on the session that runs g-s-d should be perfectly
fine. (another question here actually is how well we could even share
these settings across the network, since some fonts/themes might not be
available on other systems). And there's more like this: is it really
needed that people can embed applets and stuff from multiple machines in
the same panel?

> Adding the display ID to the bus name does not work because ssh and su
> mean you have other users on your display, that should share the
> per-X-server bus but not the per-(user,machine) bus.

Well, it would work, if we would say that there can only be one session
controlling some display facility.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net