User bus conclusion

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Tue Nov 9 18:46:50 PST 2010

On Tue, 09.11.10 21:29, David Zeuthen (zeuthen at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com> wrote:
> > What you're doing is changing
> > how the OS will define a session. The bus still corresponds to a
> > session.
>
> Really depends on what you mean by session. FWIW, the OS will still
> need to be able to enumerate all user logins (roughly corresponding to
> the existing session bus type) in addition to groups of logins
> (corresponding to the newly proposed bus type)
>
>  UserOnHost(user=alice)
>    LoginSession1(ssh)
>    LoginSession2(LocalMonitor0, active)
>  UserOnHost(user=bob)
>    LoginSession3(ssh)
>    LoginSession4(LocalMonitor0, inactive)
>  UserOnHost(user=mallory)
>    LoginSession5(LocalMonitor1)
>
> to handle e.g. authorization and other bookkeeping.

Yupp. And in a systemd world, this is basically the directory tree
beneath /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd/user/ since for every user we have a
cgroup, and for every tty/x11 another one beneath it.

The meta data to these sessions I hope to attach via xattrs to the dirs.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.