User bus conclusion

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Wed Nov 10 05:06:24 PST 2010

On Wed, 10.11.10 08:53, Thiago Macieira (thiago at kde.org) wrote:

> Moreover, there are many use-cases that get broken by the user bus proposal.
> The question is whether they are valid today...

Many? Can you elaborate?

We found only two really existing problematic use cases:

- gdm managing multiple screens, and running a greeter session for each
  of them. In the short tun to make this work we'd just continue to use
  dbus-daemon --session which won't go away. In the long run we should
  probably use dynamic uid allocation, since we definitely want
  isolation between the greeter sessions, so that should one manage to
  get a shell it should be impossible to gdb the other.

- Internet cafe/kiosk setups, where one user id serves multiple
  workstations. The solution for this is kinda similar.

I guess, if we continue to honour $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS, however
just not set it anymore in modern sessions (gnome, kde) then this and
similar use cases should not be much of a headache.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.