D-Bus for Pontarius?

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Sat Nov 27 08:47:21 PST 2010

On Saturday 27 November 2010 15:43:59 Jon Kristensen wrote:
> Hello D-Bus people!
>
> I have started working on Pontarius 0.1, a set of free software media
> server programs. [1]Pontarius will build services on top of the
> [2]Extended Personal Media Network (XPMN) architecture, as defined by
> Dirk Meyer. We will have a server program that will transfer resources
> end-to-end encrypted over XMPP. I also want some kind of client that can
> access these resources at the request of other applications. So
> naturally I'm considering using D-Bus.

One thing to take into consideration is that D-Bus is not designed for
transferring large volumes of data.  So while it would be a good choice for
querying available media and fetching metadata, for example, it would not be
suitable for transferring the media itself.

However, it could point clients to a location to fetch the media from (and
this could be a TCP port on the local or a remote machine, or a location on
disk).

I'll leave people who know more about the state of D-Bus on Windows and Mac to
comment on the rest of your email - I know that D-Bus exists on those
platforms, but I don't know how stable it is or how easy it is to install.

Alex