dbus-send error

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 23:36:23 PDT 2010

Hi All,

I've cross-compiled DBUS for my MIPS platform with the following options:

./configure --prefix=/tmp/mss-dbus --exec-prefix=/tmp/mss-dbus
--host=mipsel-linux --enable-inotify --with-xml=libexpat
--disable-userdb-cache --disable-kqueue --disable-dnotify
--disable-libaudit --disable-selinux --disable-xml-docs
--disable-checks
--disable-verbose-mode --disable-doxygen-docs --disable-gcov
--disable-dependency-tracking --without-x --enable-abstract-sockets
--enable-tests --enable-asserts --enable-checks

I run the dbus-daemon with my config file, which is same as
'system.conf' except for some bits changed to reflect my install path
etc.

The daemon starts up w/o error. So now I wanted to send some message
to it to see if it's working properly. I use dbus-send to invoke the
ServiceExists method, but I'm getting the following error:

./dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest='org.freedesktop.DBus'
/org/freedesktop/DBus org.freedesktop.DBus.ServiceExists
string:'test.Service'
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: org.freedesktop.DBus
does not understand message ServiceExists

signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=(null destination)
serial=41 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
member=NameOwnerChanged
   string ":1.19"
   string ""
   string ":1.19"
signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=(null destination)
serial=42 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
member=NameOwnerChanged
   string ":1.19"
   string ":1.19"
   string ""

I understand that the error is because 'ServiceExists' method does not
exist. Is that because of the options I have used while configuring?
Can this be because of  the ' --without-x' option?

If so, is there any other test I can perform to see if the system
daemon is working properly?

Thanks,
-mandeep