export application command line arguments to DBUS

Giacomo delleceste at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 01:23:18 PDT 2010

Hi to all in the list.

I am quite new to DBus. I've read about interfaces, services, object
paths, methods and signals...

I would like to export to DBus my application command line arguments.
In this way a client app of the
DBus server can retrieve the arguments of another app (App1) via the
DBus session bus, instead of querying
the application App1 direclty.

Is there a clean way to do it?

What I was thinking up to now is to register N object paths, one for
each argument, such as:

it.elettra.Trieste/TApplications/App1/arguments/cmdarg1
it.elettra.Trieste/TApplications/App1/arguments/cmdarg2
it.elettra.Trieste/TApplications/App1/arguments/cmdarg3

so that by means of the DBus introspection methods another app is able
to retrieve the command
line arguments with which App1 was started.

The problem is that I have to encode the object path so that only
[0-9a-zA-Z_] characters are in it.

If there is another simple solution just to save in the session bus
the argument strings, please let
me know.

Thanks in advance.

Giacomo.

--
Giacomo S.
http://www.giacomos.it

* iqfire-wall, un progetto
  open source che implementa un
  filtro di pacchetti di rete per Linux,
  e` disponibile per il download qui:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipfire-wall

* Informazioni e pagina web ufficiale:
  http://www.giacomos.it/iqfire/index.html

 . ''  `.
 `.  ` '
    `- Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom
        http://www.debian.org