export application command line arguments to DBUS

Giacomo delleceste at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 04:52:37 PDT 2010

Hi and thanks,

2010/10/25 Will Thompson <will.thompson at collabora.co.uk>:
> On 25/10/10 09:23, Giacomo wrote:
>>
>> I would like to export to DBus my application command line arguments.
>> In this way a client app of the
>> DBus server can retrieve the arguments of another app (App1) via the
>> DBus session bus, instead of querying
>> the application App1 direclty.
>>

> The bus doesn't actually know anything about services' objects. When you
> ‘register’ an object in your application, you're just telling your D-Bus
> client library about it, not the bus. D-Bus introspection is just another
> interface, so when you're introspect App1 you are querying it directly.
>
> Why don't you want to do that? :)

I have an application browser that launches app1 if app1 is not yet running.
Two apps are considered the same if they have the same executable name
and the same
command line arguments.

Suppose that app1 is running, but it is busy. The used wants to launch
app1 again through the
browser.

The browser knows through DBus that app1 is running, but must query
app1 its arguments, to
test whether app1 is to be considered already running.
The browser will not be able to determine the application arguments
until app1 responds.

For this reason I would like to have the arguments available without
querying the app1.

Thanks, Giacomo.

> Regards,
>
> --
> Will

Giacomo S.
http://www.giacomos.it

* iqfire-wall, un progetto
  open source che implementa un
  filtro di pacchetti di rete per Linux,
  e` disponibile per il download qui:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipfire-wall

* Informazioni e pagina web ufficiale:
  http://www.giacomos.it/iqfire/index.html

 . ''  `.
 `.  ` '
    `- Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom
        http://www.debian.org