Being interested in NameOwnerChanged for a namespace, not one name

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Thu Sep 16 16:23:50 PDT 2010

Hi Will,

> Mission Control, a Telepathy component, watches for new Telepathy
> Connection Managers appearing by binding to NameOwnerChanged and looking
> for names starting with "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.ConnectionManager.".
>
> So obviously this is a bad idea. ryan lortie rightly called me out for
> this at GuadeKademy last summer, and I started implementing support for
> argXprefix in match rules:
> <http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/wjt/dbus.git;a=commitdiff;h=refs/heads/argx-prefix-matching>.
> I haven't worked on it since then, but have just been reminded of it.
>
> Any opinions on whether:
>
> • this is a good general approach to solving this problem;
> • this is a good specific approach to solving this problem;
> • support for this should be negotiated at connection time, or inferred
> by the error reply from AddMatch, or included in a list of features
> pushed to the client by the bus just after connection (as suggested by
> Alban on IRC), or...?

what is wrong with just adding glob style pattern matching to the arg0
argument? Or to AddMatch arguments in general. It seems a bit more
straight forward to me. Just doing prefix matching also seems a bit
short sighted to me. What is if some application requires suffix
matching or wants some specific middle part?

Regards

Marcel