Windows DBus shared memory name depends on _DEBUG?

Thomas Sondergaard ts at medical-insight.com
Thu Sep 23 05:35:12 PDT 2010

On 22-09-2010 16:39, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Am 22.09.2010 12:58, schrieb Thomas Sondergaard:
>> On 22-09-2010 11:57, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>>> Am 22.09.2010 11:06, schrieb Thomas Sondergaard:
>>> This is guaranted by the autolaunch protocol. When using autolaunch
>>> procotol in session bus config, dbus-daemon server automatically select
>>> a free tcp port on localhost and saves this address in the related
>>> shared memory segment. If the dbus client is configured using the
>>> autolaunch protocol (which is the default on configure time) it fetches
>>> the recent session dbus address from the related shared memory address.
>>> Now debug and release builds could run independent dbus daemons.
>>
>> I'm a little confused by your answer. Let me ask a little differently:
>> Wouldn't it be best if debug and release builds using the default
>> autolaunch protocol would connect to the same bus?
> I think this depends on the use case. In the KDE on windows context -
> where this implementation came from - this "feature" has been used to
> run a release build for daily work and an independent debug build. KDE
> uses dbus-daemon to start further applications and kioslaves. If there
> would only one daemon, debug applications would start slaves from
> release builds and vice versus, depending on which daemon has been
> started first. This makes debugging much harder.
> Because of this limitations the mentioned patch is used for KDE as default.

It is usual for debug builds to link debug libraries on windows and I
think the use case should be that this works fine mixed with a release
build of dbus-daemon. It would not be much trouble for KDE hackers to
configure their build of the dbus to use a different name for the
autolaunch shared memory segment - especially if it was made a cmake
build option, a la -DDBUS_AUTOLAUNCH_SHM_NAME=flimsebimse.

Regards,

Thomas