Windows DBus shared memory name depends on _DEBUG?

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sun Sep 26 10:21:31 PDT 2010

  Am 23.09.2010 14:35, schrieb Thomas Sondergaard:
> On 22-09-2010 16:39, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm a little confused by your answer. Let me ask a little differently:
>>> Wouldn't it be best if debug and release builds using the default
>>> autolaunch protocol would connect to the same bus?
>> I think this depends on the use case. In the KDE on windows context -
>> where this implementation came from - this "feature" has been used to
>> run a release build for daily work and an independent debug build. KDE
>> uses dbus-daemon to start further applications and kioslaves. If there
>> would only one daemon, debug applications would start slaves from
>> release builds and vice versus, depending on which daemon has been
>> started first. This makes debugging much harder.
>> Because of this limitations the mentioned patch is used for KDE as
>> default.
>
> It is usual for debug builds to link debug libraries on windows and I
> think the use case should be that this works fine mixed with a release
> build of dbus-daemon.
> It would not be much trouble for KDE hackers to configure their build
> of the dbus to use a different name for the autolaunch shared memory
> segment - especially if it was made a cmake build option, a la
> -DDBUS_AUTOLAUNCH_SHM_NAME=flimsebimse.
There are different use case required for different people. The current
implemation makes sense for some people, while your use case makes also
sense for other people. The conclusion is to make the autolaunch feature
customizable in a generic way, which is provided by the mentioned patch
which provides a controlled way for setting the shared memory address.

If there are no more objectivies I will apply these patches in the next
days along with the autolaunch spec update.

Regards
  Ralf