"DBus Embedded" - a clean break

Kees Jongenburger kees.jongenburger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 13:38:44 PST 2011

Hello,

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 de January de 2011 18:42:29 Kees Jongenburger wrote:
>> >
>> > Good stuff, I've obviously been being too pessimistic! Are your bench
>> > marks measuring different message sizes and processor loads?
>>
>> That test focuses on latency (not much data is sent over the bus) to
>> perhaps this explains some differences?
>
> See my other reply. The problem that everyone complains is latency, not the
> data throughput.
>
> My experiences show that data throughput is not a problem. Just send more data
> in each message. The problem is the big overhead in handling each message.

One other thing that also might have impact on these numbers are the
amount of allowed concurrent callers to a service. A simple
dbus "service" only handles one request at the time(at least with
dbus-glib). This greatly simplifies development but also means that if
a method has a processing time of one second you can only handle about
60 requests a minute. A typical hammering test situation on a single
service will show these numbers.