"DBus Embedded" - a clean break

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 13:42:47 PST 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Kees Jongenburger
<kees.jongenburger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

>>> That test focuses on latency (not much data is sent over the bus) to
>>> perhaps this explains some differences?
>>
>> See my other reply. The problem that everyone complains is latency, not the
>> data throughput.
>>
>> My experiences show that data throughput is not a problem. Just send more data
>> in each message. The problem is the big overhead in handling each message.
>
> One other thing that also might have impact on these numbers are the
> amount of allowed concurrent callers to a service. A simple
> dbus "service" only handles one request at the time(at least with
> dbus-glib). This greatly simplifies development but also means that if
> a method has a processing time of one second you can only handle about
> 60 requests a minute. A typical hammering test situation on a single
> service will show these numbers.

No. This is not true at all. Neither for D-Bus in general nor with dbus-glib.

(It might be true if your service is single-threaded and you don't
handle incoming calls asynchronously. But in that case the problem
exists between chair and keyboard.)

     David