Pluggable auth modules

Bogdan Lotko boguslaw.lotko at chello.at
Fri Jun 3 02:05:27 PDT 2011

On 6/3/2011 10:00, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 de June de 2011 17:43:23 Pavel Strashkin wrote:
>> This is THE HUGE fail of D-Bus team if they really think in this way.
>> We use it for network connections, sometimes under heavy load, and it
>> works perfect! It's sad that there is still no understanding that
>> D-Bus isn't just a "some useless" staff for KDE or upstart. This is
>> the project with a big potential so it has to grow internally. I heard
>> many times from Simon and other guys words like "TCP/IP?!! Are you
>> crazy?". This is funny. You made the project and you don't believe in
>> it's power.
> We do believe in its power. But we are very clear on what we're trying to
> accomplish here: local IPC first and foremost. We'll not sacrifice performance
> there for network transparency support.
>
> Besides, we haven't implemented authentication or encryption for D-Bus. Anyone
> using it over TCP/IP connections is crazy (unless it's for very, very limited
> use-cases). If you want to have authentication and encryption, you need to
> write your own transport layer and use dbus_message_get_bytes or something. At
> that point, the D-Bus authentication is just an impediment.

Hello,

I fully agree with Pavel.
If you already said "A" and the D-Bus specification allows TCP/IP
connections,  then please said also "B" and maintain this branch
properly. I think, it should not be the "first" and the "second" target
any more. All features, if already specified, shall have equal rights.
In every D-Bus description one can read  about the possibility to
connect over TCP/IP and realizes, that the D-Bus with its all (perfect)
features could work like a light-weight ORB. Then learning more one
finds out, that "actually" its not the "first and foremost" of the
D-Bus. Its pity.

With best regards

Bogdan Lotko (TCP/IP D-Bus novice :-) )